Monday, September 17, 2012

A Public Service Announcement from the Next Gen News Junkies

 By Tyrone L. Heppard



“I’m not into politics.”

“It doesn’t matter who I vote for; either way we’re screwed.”

“I don’t feel like going through all of that stuff to get registered.”

These are some of the things that I hear people say when I ask them whether or not they’re going to vote this year and I’ve got to say; the answers haven’t changed much since 2008.

What astounds me is how little our generation remembers about what people had to do in order to have a say in this country. We tend to forget that people literally died in order for their friends, families and future generations to have the right to vote. They literally died.

But I’m not going to preach to you. I’m not going to tell you that this is the election of the century. All I want to do is emphasize that there are sites like rockthevote.org and youngvoter.org that make the process easy.

There’s even a site called – you ready? It’s called registertovote.org. Crazy right?

So, let’s stop it with excuses, people. It takes 5 minutes to register and seconds to vote. It’s fast, it’s simple, it’s important and damn it, it’s American!

I don’t care who you vote for; just as long as you do it. Seriously, go register. Do it. Now!  



Resources to register to vote-

www.registertovote.org
www.rockthevote.org
www.youngvoter.org
www.whitehouse.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment